Monday, March 7, 2016

TBB: Coconut Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Ganache



I started off 2016 with root canal.. boy was it painful! Then I was down with flu in between the treatments.. and now that I've recovered, I am still feeling super tired despite taking iron supplements daily.  Some days I feel like I need to sleep all day, yet some days I feel so energetic.  Perhaps it is due to hormones imbalance playing wreck on my body...  like roller coaster!   This morning, I was so tired, that I couldn't even find the strength to answer my husband when he asked me a question. I didn't purposely ignore him, but I too tired to say a word.  Also who was that stupid person who called our home phone line at 2am looking for someone else?! 

So you see, it took a lot of effort for me to write this post this morning.. lol!  (actually I felt better after I took 2 Lindt chocolate truffles this morning.. maybe I just needed some sugar!)

No one in my family likes coconut in cakes, so I was half-hearted making these cupcakes. 

I tried to make the cupcakes less coconut-y by adding pandan paste .. and my cupcakes ended up green.. not because I'm celebrating St. Patrick's Day early. Also I reduced sugar by 1/4 cup.

Cupcake Batter resting for 20mins.


All baked and green



I didn't make the ganache. I made the coconut custard cream and stopped at that.  I tripled up the coconut cream.. or was it triple x 3?  And piped the cream as frosting instead. 

(this close up pic, my hands look quite "veinily" scary..!)


 All packed for Church the next day. 
I had to line with paper towel to absorb condensation that will happen when store in the fridge.


Cross-section of the cupcake.  I had to try no matter what. 
As a baker,  I feel it is important to taste my own bakes.


I really like the coconut custard pairing with the cupcakes. 
The cold custard with the cake lightens overall texture..not too sweet and also not too coconut-y either.  
Really good.  


5 comments:

Unknown on March 8, 2016 at 12:40 PM said...

Happy the lindt balls revived you :D The bake looks perfect. I love this flavour combo… and more custard! _--- Jeniffer

Angie's Recipes on March 9, 2016 at 12:19 AM said...

Beautiful colour and delicious flavour! Coconut and pandan...a perfect combo, Faithy.

Rosa V. on March 9, 2016 at 2:24 AM said...

nicely done Faithy, and also the flavour , a lovely step by step pictures P.S.
when you have a moment please stop by http://maggiggie55.blogspot.ca/2016/03/coconut-cupcakes-with-milk-chocolate.html

Vicki on March 10, 2016 at 12:43 AM said...

They really turned out beautiful. Not only nice for St Patrick's Day but would be pretty at Easter, too. I've heard it's possible to reduce sugar in recipes but never tried. Your custard came out thicker than mine, looks better. Hope you get your energy back. It's no fun not feeling up to par.

Rose Levy Beranbaum on March 23, 2016 at 7:25 AM said...

i'm so curious what pandan paste tastes like the color is sure exquisite.

my husband says root canal doesn't hurt at all--i'm quite sure he's lying! or maybe he has a higher pain threshold than most. mine is not and i dread the very thought of root canal.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template