Monday, March 21, 2016

TBB: Babka (p454)




No left over cake .. I should have read the recipe before I ate up the final 2 slices of pound cake that I made earlier!!  And I couldn't find the almond paste that I bought anywhere in the fridge only to realise that I left it in the office fridge.   I didn't want to bake another cake nor did I have the time to go down to the baking speciality store to buy the almond paste again...   So when I saw I still had leftovers of the Mini Breton, I decided to use them..since they have almonds in them also right?  :p


I used this blender just because it was already on the countertop..too lazy to bring out the other blender. When you live in a tiny apartment, every corner of space is limited, so you'll tend to squeeze everything into cabinet until there is not an inch of space left.. but that also means that when you need something, you will have to remove everything in there to take that piece of equipment out!


Blend into paste that looks like nutella.  I added some rum because it was slightly dry.. I think I should have just used nutella perhaps? 





Moving this log into the pan was not easy!! In the end it was lopsided....one side higher than the other side...because I didn't read the part about overlapping 2"..until after I baked it.. --


Baked & butter glazed.




After I ate a slice, I realised I used salted butter to glaze..it was salty! And not only just used salted butter for the glaze but throughout the recipe! Aiya...  But it's ok..so I have a Babka that is salty-sweet. LOL!  The chocolate filling is quite nice with hint of rum. Overall, I like this bread.  

However, I find that it doesn't keep well overnight..it doesn't taste as good as when it is freshly baked.  




6 comments:

Vicki on March 21, 2016 at 11:08 AM said...

It turned out so pretty. Nice height, swirl and crumb texture. Could you taste the run? Sounds like a good combination, actually.

Unknown on March 21, 2016 at 11:26 PM said...

What a beautiful loaf of babka! Now I wish I'd made the chocolate version.

Rose Levy Beranbaum on March 23, 2016 at 10:58 PM said...

it's a work of art! you know the trend these days is for salty/sweet!!!

Angie's Recipes on March 24, 2016 at 12:45 AM said...

It turned out really great, Faithy.

Unknown on March 27, 2016 at 10:40 AM said...

Your photos are great - the top one especially. I laughed when I saw the neat and tidy picture of your log - mine was covered in chocolate fingerprints!

Rosa V. on March 28, 2016 at 1:23 AM said...

Faith,your Babka looks nice with the swirl , come check out mine, it's delicious..

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template