Monday, September 21, 2015

TBB: Honey Cake for a Sweet New Year

I baked this cake before on 20 September 2014 together with Hanaa & Mendy, but I can't find my post now... I wondered where my posting went?!  Or did I even post it? I remembered I did and Rose made a comment about only putting 1 shot of rissetto coffee shot instead of 4 (I used 4 capsule of that Nespresso risetto!..what was I thinking..lol!).   We followed the recipe in this site http://www.hadassahmagazine.org/2014/09/10/honey-followed-rules/

Let me try to recall... I reduced the sugar by 1/4 cup, but since it has a lot of honey in the cake, it is still very sweet.  It is a sweet cake because it is meant to be like this - as the cake is for sweet new year.  It's like our Chinese New Year, we also have to have really sweet candied fruits etc for our sweet new year too.  


Iirc, I think I read the instructions wrongly.. I think was supposed to line the pan, but don't know what I was thinking and I lined the outside of pan with newspaper and even put a thick layer of newspaper at the bottom of the pan. At that point I thought I was being very clever and save some parchment?!?!?  


The cake itself was nice and moist. But because I added too much coffee, the main note is coffee and tasted more like coffee cake instead of honey cake... such a waste.  I think my good honey I used was in a way such a waste because I couldn't taste the main honey note.  As this cake is meant to be sweet, so no one should complain about how sweet it is.  




7 comments:

Vicki on September 21, 2015 at 10:37 AM said...

Very inventive use of newspaper! There are so many flavors in this cake that maybe the honey is just a background note?

evil cake lady on September 21, 2015 at 12:57 PM said...

I can't taste the honeyin my cake, either. Mostly the whiskey and orange! Your cake rose really well and looks moist. Too bad about the coffee.

Milagritos on September 21, 2015 at 6:02 PM said...

Newspaper! Thanks for the tip! I used tea instead of coffee and it was lovely. I agree with Vicki, so many flavours.

Angie's Recipes on September 21, 2015 at 8:40 PM said...

Well, I wouldn't have called it a waste even if it's over flavoured with coffee. The cake looks nice though I still can't figure out the point of creative use of newspaper..but never mind that, the cake does look great to me, Faithy.

Unknown on September 22, 2015 at 7:50 AM said...

I remember you talking about this cake and how sweet it was, but I don't remember that you posted about it last year. (But I forget things!)
It was interesting to read in the article that the purpose of the alcohol was to help blend all the flavors. I didn't use anything alcoholic because I was baking for a non-drinking toddler, but maybe I would have liked it better with a shot of whiskey!

Unknown on September 24, 2015 at 8:07 PM said...

The texture of the cake looks great. I think mine was slightly stodgier. The newspaper reminds me of my mother baking traditional Christmas cake which takes ages to cook so the outside is lined heavily with parchment and newspaper.

orins goodies on September 30, 2015 at 2:30 AM said...

the texture of your cake came lovely, I am sorry you didn't got to enjoy though, i did use mainly orange juice and a bit of coffee.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template