Monday, August 24, 2015

TBB: Woody's Black & White Brownies


I don't know why I have the impression that Woody's recipes tend to be rich and 'loud'-as in it gives an impact on your first bite/taste?  So when I saw the recipe title before reading recipe, I thought to myself, this must be a super rich brownie...just like that lemon cake in HCB.   And I am right....lol!  This brownie is very good..but a little goes a long way. 



First I toasted the pecan nuts. But the 150g packet of pecan nuts after toasting became 78g??!  (Ok..i admit, I ate 1, but even with that 1 piece, it would have been 80g!)  So I added walnuts to make up for the difference in weight.

Then I made the white chocolate custard. 
I used Meiji white chocolate. 


Then mix in the batter & walnuts and into the prepared pan.


Opps!! I forgot to put in the cream cheese!! 
After I put in the oven, I saw a bowl of cream cheese sitting on the counter! Gosh!
I quickly took the pan out from oven and dump in the cream cheese and tried to incorporate into the batter with my knife & later fork. 


Out of the oven. Looks good..doesn't look like anything went wrong. lol!


Made the white chocolate buttercream. 
Taste very good despite being on the sweeter side..and I like how it looked like whipped cream.


Pour onto the brownie layer and put back in fridge 


Make the ganache and pour over. 
Oh..I added Bourbon.. that is what made it even better! lol!  


After the next day..all set. 


Cut into triangles. 
A little goes a long way..so a tiny triangle is all you need! 


For my tasting..  I didn't have any ice-cream so I just ate on its own. Very good though..despite being so rich.  This is for photography only.. I ate one triangular slice and the other one, my helper ate. 

Oh..that dish there..hahaha.. it's actually my soya sauce dish.  Can't remember where I got it from.. it's the one and only one I have in this design. Actually I think 90% of my dishes are free!  Either some hand me down from my mom or my late MIL or my SIL or some freebies.  That's why I don't have a nice proper set of dinner wares.  And I feel bad to throw away all the usable plates just to get a new set. Some of my plates and bowls, some older than my children.. like more than 25+ years! 


These are very good brownies. If I were to make it again, I will do away with the white chocolate layer. It looks pretty with white chocolate layer, but I like my brownie less sweet.  The bourbon ganache layer compliments the brownies very well. I love it.  

11 comments:

Alpha Baker Joan on August 24, 2015 at 10:03 AM said...

Great! They look fabulous, as always. Inspiring me to get back out there to the kitchen and do the custard for the top!

anitsirK on August 24, 2015 at 10:20 AM said...

I forgot the cream cheese, too! Only I didn't notice I hadn't opened the package of cream cheese until after the first batch was out of the oven. They got consumed quickly, regardless!

Unknown on August 24, 2015 at 10:28 AM said...

They look wonderful :) cutting in triangles is a good idea too. Ha ha I love the stories of all your dishes :D ---- Jeniffer

Angie's Recipes on August 24, 2015 at 10:29 AM said...

Gosh..look at all the glorious layers! They look fantastic, Faithy.

Vicki on August 25, 2015 at 12:42 PM said...

I love the triangles on your pretty little dish! I wish now I made the effort to go buy bourbon. Maybe next time.

Unknown on August 25, 2015 at 7:45 PM said...

Nice work on the cream cheese, you can't even see it in the finished brownie. That little dish is very sweet.

Rachel on August 26, 2015 at 6:20 AM said...

Pretty white chocolate in your mixer! I agree though, I wouldn't bother with it again. The brownies themselves were yum.

Alpha Baker Joan on August 26, 2015 at 10:18 AM said...

As always your baking looks awesome and cannot imagine it doesn't taste awesome! I wish I had added the bourbon because the non alcoholic people didn't come. I just think that bourbon would have cut some of the sweetness and made perfect. Also, however, I ran out of 62% choc and used a few grams of 70% so that may have cut it also. Mine were not that sicky sweet. I think next time I will deliberately add some more bittter choc and the bourbon and then - Heaven!! lol

Patricia @ ButterYum on August 27, 2015 at 11:31 AM said...

You're right, these brownies were very rich. I cut mine into very thin slivers, but that didn't keep us from eating too many ;).

HanaĆ¢ on August 27, 2015 at 9:36 PM said...

Love love love your triangles!!

Unknown on September 1, 2015 at 9:21 PM said...

Hi Faithy, I agree that the white chocolate buttercream made the brownie too rich. I prefer my brownies by themselves. Still, I enjoyed them like you, a little at a time.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template