Monday, August 3, 2015

TBB: Whole Wheat Walnut Loaf


I don't know what happened my my bread. Can you see that the bottom of the bread is very dense?  I used baking stone..but still this happened.  This is my first time baking with Whole Wheat flour.  I don't know if it is because it is whole wheat or what.. but this is the first time I baked a bread that feels like cross between a door-stopper and brick. It's so heavy and hard that if you throw it at someone, you can actually hurt that person. LOL!   I also felt like I wasted a lot of my walnuts in this bread.. such a waste because nobody wants to eat it. 

The only person that is eating it is ME! Even though I keep saying it is dense and heavy but I couldn't stop eating it..lol!  It has this flavor that I like and also quite chewy and fun to eat like snack.   But the irony is I am the one who kept complaining about this bread but yet I am also the one who ate the most of it and seemingly quite enjoyed it.  *shrugs*.  It's like a love-hate relationship I have with this bread....lol!    



I bought this flour just for this bread.  Due to the last scare with King Arthur bread flour... I asked my helper to open for me in case there are worms/eggs in there...  esp. when it's expiring in 3 months time..  She's not afraid of worms unlike me. 
  Thankfully it is all clear... :P  


Mix sponge...then i forgot photos in between..


I used this Vital Gluten in case anyone thinks I didn't use this and thus I had that gummy streak at the bottom of my bread. I did also heat up my baking stone for more than 2 hours! 


Waiting for it to be proofed.. oh..maybe is it because I left the dough overnight in the fridge? 
I did notice when it's baking the dough seems to shrink a bit and turned darker.  


Here is the Brick.. .. I mean Bread..  



PS: After 4 days later.. I'm still the only one eating this bread. Somehow strangely, even though I think this bread is a fail but I still like to eat it..and quite addicted to eating it.  Perfect when I feel my mouth is itchy and need something to munch on. Because I am a small eater and have weak tummy, I eat many times a day instead of 3 large meals....so I'm not sure if it is because it is whole wheat or what.. I find it fills up my tummy quite easily and I stay full for quite a while..without looking for food.  Or am I imagining? Maybe all the fibre is undigestable... 

I can't say that I will bake it again though.. but never say never.. !  





13 comments:

Unknown on August 3, 2015 at 9:46 AM said...

Such a funny post Peggy, you're such a good sport even when you weren't that happy with the results of your baking. I haven't made mine yet but I expect it's meant to be quite a dense bread. I'm planning on adding a little bit of white flour to lighten it slightly.

Hanaâ on August 3, 2015 at 9:57 AM said...

Oh Peggy, that was funny! It sounds like the texture wasn't great but the flavor was. And yes, whole wheat does fill you up quickly. I made one half with walnuts and the other without.

Unknown on August 3, 2015 at 11:04 AM said...

So glad there were no worms in the flour! It's very interesting how there are two different textures in your bread. I wonder why.

Vicki on August 3, 2015 at 2:28 PM said...

Oh my gosh I am having so much fun reading your post! Now I am very curious to make this bread. It was such a surprise that wheat gluten is so expensive for a small bag. I hope it freezes okay because this is the only recipe I've ever seen it called for.
Did you toast this bread?

Unknown on August 3, 2015 at 4:08 PM said...

Goodness you make me laugh :D I've never heard anyone say "Perfect when I feel mouth is itchy and need something to munch on" before. Glad you are enjoying eating it, in a love/hate kind of way and especially glad about the lack of worms in your flour! ___ Jeniffer

Angie's Recipes on August 3, 2015 at 5:23 PM said...

I guess your family prefers soft fluffy Asian bread. This is my kind of bread..nutrients-dense and hearty!

inthekitchen on August 4, 2015 at 4:12 AM said...

Sorry your loaf flattened out :/ Have you tried it toasted? I feel like that makes it more edible :)

Rose Levy Beranbaum on August 4, 2015 at 10:09 AM said...

Peggy--this is too funny! but your bread looks great! i think you will love the scone toppers--all crunch and little soft insides.

Milagritos on August 4, 2015 at 1:40 PM said...

I know what you mean by love-hate relationship with this bread. Mine was really ugly but tasted good. It must be the chewiness factor...I also prefer eating several times a day rather than 3 times only. More fun! At least, this bread is good for you...

Rachel on August 5, 2015 at 3:53 AM said...

If you get motivated you can make seitan to use up the gluten. I now have two entire bags just like yours, Peggy, so I'd better take my own advice!

Unknown on August 7, 2015 at 6:19 AM said...

I did my last rise in the fridge too and it really didn't rise as high as I would have liked. Next time I won't put it in the fridge!

Unknown on August 7, 2015 at 9:30 PM said...

Hi Faithy, Gosh I have no idea why your bread was so heavy and dense at the bottom, but I do understand why you kept munching on it. Mine was chewy too, but I think that is how it is suppose to be. Just a quick note on loving crunchy things, I've been craving potatoe chips (I never eat them). Yesterday, Rick stops at the vending machine in the hotel we are in (we are still on holiday) and he brings me a back of lime and black pepper bag of chips! Oh! I plowed through them and he was miffed I didn't share them. Anyway, if Rose says your bread looks great then go with that. I happen to agree with her.

Michele at The Artful Oven on August 8, 2015 at 5:30 AM said...

Peggy, great looking bread. Mine was heavy too. I thought it was because I used such a large pan and increased the recipe but perhaps not. I used the same flour and gluten as you did. I like it but would like to try it again, and as phylliscaroline said, substitute some white flour for part of the whole wheat to lighten it up a bit.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template