Monday, July 20, 2015

TBB: Kourambiethes


These are super delicious and addictive. Crumbly..and melts-in-mouth.  Everyone who tasted it said they were fantastic. I couldn't say the name properly, but after practicing a few times saying it out loud, I am more confident in pronouncing the name of this cookie. 


I cheated and use Ghee.. :p  
The entire container supposed to be 400g. 


But after i chilled it it became 370g. 
So I just used this because I don't have anymore ghee in the pantry. 


I toasted some chopped up nuts. They came chopped up like this in package..so there is no need for me to chop up somemore...


Cream the ghee and powdered sugar.. i love how fluffy and creamy it looks isn't it? 


I rolled the dough to 25g. I think 31g is too big. That said, i still think 25g is a bit big..so next time I'll do half.. at 15g each and no need to flatten.

I dipped each dough into sugar because the dough isn't very sweet anyway and because of the brandy made it a bit on the bitter side.  The sugar created a barrier and also absorbed the oil - for easier removal with my cookie lifter.  First tray I didn't coat with sugar and the cookie got stuck to the lifter and broke..because of the oil.  The sugar somehow absorbed the oil..even before it is baked..so I prefer it this way. 


After I dust with powdered sugar.. I was initially worried the powdered sugar will melt but it didnt.


The next day..in the container, the powdered sugar still intact.


These cookies were so addictive, that I couldn't' stop eating. 
Will definitely be making these more often.  So easy to put together too. 




12 comments:

Unknown on July 20, 2015 at 9:44 AM said...

I made these as Christmas cookies last year, and did about 15 gram cookies so they'd be small. This time I thought I'd try them as the recipe said. I think I like the smaller cookies better, although maybe the bigger size is more authentic. I loved these too.

Unknown on July 20, 2015 at 10:09 AM said...

Oh I remember that brand/tin of ghee, now we just have smaller jars… I'm trying ghee next time and I'm halving them next time too. :) lol, and I loved them too, the clarified butter/toasting the nuts … elevate the biscuit. Yours look pretty with the icing sugar on top :) ---Jeniffer

Vicki on July 20, 2015 at 11:15 AM said...

They turned out so pretty! Did you coat them in regular sugar before baking or powdered sugar? The powdered sugar isn't sticking to mine very well. You are so right though, they are very addictive!

Angie's Recipes on July 20, 2015 at 4:52 PM said...

They look so inviting and addictive, Faithy.

Patricia @ ButterYum on July 21, 2015 at 7:40 AM said...

Yummo - I think I might have to make these tomorrow.

Alpha Baker Joan on July 22, 2015 at 6:44 AM said...

Very nice -- annnnd addictive for sure

Unknown on July 23, 2015 at 8:02 AM said...

These cookies were delicious and completely addictive. I agree that they could be a little smaller. Next time. There will be a next time.

Unknown on July 23, 2015 at 11:23 AM said...

So tricky with the already cut up almonds. Why didnt i think of that! I also only ended up with about 360g clarified butter but it was either go with that or.not make the biscuits. No time to stand over the stove again! Or patience. Your biscuits look good - i think mine would be too sweet with extra sugar, maybe because less butter?

Rachel on July 24, 2015 at 9:10 PM said...

I would have used ghee, but I didn't have much left, and I had a whole pound of butter in my freezer. Your cookies look great!

Milagritos on July 25, 2015 at 7:01 AM said...

Didn't even think of ghee, brilliant. How clever of you to add the icing sugar before baking! I'll be doing that next time rather than having to wait for the kourambiethes to cool down before dusting them with icing sugar. These cookies were a complete crowd pleaser here and it sounds like they are universally loved. Beautiful, Faithy!

Michele at The Artful Oven on July 28, 2015 at 2:20 AM said...

These are addictive, you are right, Faithy! I love them. Ghee, what a great idea! Your cookies look terrific! I am going to make these often and then hide them so I can have them all to myself!

Mendy on July 31, 2015 at 4:07 AM said...

Trying to convinceyself to make these. If I do I'll use your sugar trick. :)

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template