Wednesday, April 1, 2015

BB: Pita Bread

When I first tried Pita bread (store bought), it was pretty "duh"...like floury cardboard or some sort of diet bread. This is unusual because I like plain food.  I like to eat popiah skin which is plain too... (popiah skin is not the same as store bought spring roll skin).



Mix all the ingredients together.


Dough was pretty wet and I had to add a couple tablespoon of flour to make just sticky. 
And place in fridge to rest for 2 days. 


Next day, I rolled the dough into 6 flat disc.


Then I rolled it slightly thinner than 1/4". Maybe I rolled it way too thin? (my thin dumpling rolling pin).


Because when i tried to throw the disc into hot oven, you can see the one on the left folded over and ended up looking like Naan.  Then the one of the right, side was folded..and only 3/4 of it puffed up..the other 1/4 side looked like Nann. LOL! 


Next 2, were perfect. I don't know what I did right..maybe I placed it slowly instead of throwing onto the baking stone. The oven was very hot you know... 


The last 2, no photos..but also ended up looking like Naan..so strange.. 

Sorry, I nibbled on the first one to taste it...Actually, I also found out that if your Pita bread didnt' puff up, don't fret, because you can easily peel the 2 sides up and you'll get a pocket anyway..and still can use it as a Pita bread sandwich. 


I ended up eating Pita bread with sambal egg, sotong and curry chicken, only because my helper forgot to cook rice...! 


Home made Pita bread definitely taste better than store bought. But it is still not my favorite. 

I prefer other flat breads like Naan, Roti Prata/Roti Canai which I find more flavourful and have more bite to it.





4 comments:

Vicki on April 1, 2015 at 10:02 AM said...

Love your thin rolling pin! So sounds like pita's are temperamental. Not looking forward to baking mine. Dough still in frig...

Unknown on April 1, 2015 at 10:15 AM said...

Your pita looks good. I would love to try making Naan sometime though. Great post!

Angie's Recipes on April 2, 2015 at 2:10 AM said...

Your pita pockets look great!

Patricia @ ButterYum on April 3, 2015 at 2:01 AM said...

Sorry you had a few that didn't puff up, but I bet they still tasted just as good as the ones that did puff. My dough is chilling, but I look forward to baking a few tonight.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template