Monday, March 23, 2015

TBB: Luxury Oatmeal Cookies

I was craving for chocolate chip cookies for long time, so when I saw Marie posted the following weeks' recipes, I quickly made this..not exactly chocolate chip but at least have some chocolate in it. :)   Later realised that they are not as quick as I thought because I had to make granola first.  I didn't mind a bit because I love granola. This gave me the opportunity to try a new granola recipe. :)


Hand-pulled Coffee (by moi..) paired with Luxury Oatmeal Cookies.
Not easy to do latte art...  but me only making 2 cups per day..unlike Barista who makes hundred cups a day.. I wonder when will I ever reach Barista standard..LOL!..


First make the granola, which is very easy.. just mix all the ingredients together...

I realised this granola recipe requires lots of sugar and syrup! I was contemplating whether to reduce sugar or syrup.....but I ended up following Rose's instructions. 


Then place on baking sheet and bake at 107c for 20mins. However, after 20mins, the granola was still very wet and looked uncook.. Not like the kind of granola I like. I was a bit disappointed. I put the tray back again to bake for another 20mins. Still sticky and wet but better than before. I figured maybe it needed to be like this for the cookies.   I messaged Kristina cos she made hers earlier and she replied hers was same too.. so that means I am on the right track.  Called it a day..and put them in the fridge. 


The next evening after work, I mix the granola, raisins, Valhorna chocolate pearls.. together. 


Cream up the cookie batter... 
I noticed the batter is also sweet..so I omitted granulated sugar and purposely used salted butter instead of unsalted.


Mix the batter and the granola mixture..


Sticky mess...then measure and wrap into plastic bags x 3.
Cool in fridge.


Roll into rounds of 30g.. very sticky!!! 
Really must flour hands as instructed! 


The ones on the left baked for 12mins, and the ones of right baked for 15-18mins 

We like the darker almost burnt ones..lol!  Cos they turned crispy throughout. 

The ones of the left also good, but has this soft cake like centre..and somewhat tasted sweeter also...too sweet for my liking in fact.



So I ended up baking the rest of the trays longer till they almost burn..LOL! 


My family says they are delicious and crispy. 

I too like the over-baked ones because they are so crispy and also tasted less sweet. Maybe cos I burnt them and they turned bitter thus killed off the sweetness..hahaha.. 

They smell sweet like Famous Amos cookies, btw. 


Will I make them again? I really don't know. Seems like too much work just for oatmeal cookies.. hmmmm...maybe hence the name Luxury oatmeal cookies.. 

  If I do, I will definitely reduce the amount of sugar further, either from the granola or the cookie batter..or maybe both. Also make them smaller.. 15g each. :)


<<One Week Later>>

These crispy cookies didn't stay crispy after 2 days in airtight container at home.  But those that I brought to work (24-hrs airconditioning) stayed crisp.  See, how humidity affects everything...!  











9 comments:

Jenn on March 23, 2015 at 9:40 AM said...

Faithy, I want your hand-pulled coffee! You are so talented. It looks perfect - like what barista makes. I have only seen coffee like that in California. Haven't seen any place in Denver that does that.

See, I'm too busy commenting on the coffee. Your cookies look good. My husband also likes them when they are more brown/burn.

Milagritos on March 23, 2015 at 10:58 AM said...

Hi Faithy, your coffee and cookie look so inviting! When is tea time? ;-) These cookies were a lot of work with the granola involved but fortunately the granola was delicious. The cookies taste great cold from the fridge!

Angie's Recipes on March 23, 2015 at 12:57 PM said...

Oatmeal cookies are definitely on the top of my favourites. These look fantastic and that's lots of chocolate pearls in one batch of cookies. No wonderful it's called LUXURY!

Unknown on March 23, 2015 at 7:26 PM said...

What beautiful coffee you make. It always looks so easy, but it never is. I suck at it, really. When you say that these cookies are cake-like, you are spot on. I never thought of it like that, but you're right--cake like. Nice post Faithy.

Raymond on March 23, 2015 at 10:17 PM said...

They look great Faithy. I really liked them and would definitely make them again with a few modifications

Vicki on March 23, 2015 at 10:24 PM said...

Valrhona pearls! Love those! I can see how these cookies would pair really well with a latte. Very nice latte, too. Fun to do designs, yes?I like watching youtube videos of designs being made.

Hanaâ on March 24, 2015 at 11:23 AM said...

That coffee looks amazing! You're so talented!! Funny how you like the crispy cookies better. Hubby only likes chewy cookies. I almost felt like mine were underbaked but they weren't.

Jill on March 24, 2015 at 1:53 PM said...

Faithy, I've been wondering if humidity had something to do with the lack of "crisp." I'm in a dry climate, and didn't really have that issue. I slightly overcooked some of mine, but they just tasted burnt. :( Great job on the coffee art!

evil cake lady on March 25, 2015 at 11:18 AM said...

i purposely overbake my chocolate chip cookies because i like them caramelized too! i did get a little bummed when these softened up after a couple of days. i would decrease the sugar in the granola if i made it again, too.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template