Monday, February 23, 2015

TBB: Lemon Posset Shortcake




HAPPY NEW YEAR!  
WISHING EVERYONE GOOD HEALTH & PROSPERITY! 


Recipe actually looks more intimidating than it actually is.  I made the posset first because it needed time to set.  And after making the posset, everything seemed to fall into place quite easily. :)  I pour the lemon posset into 3 mini shallow pie dishes..I think if I read correctly, as long as the posset is not above 3/4" should be ok.


I had clarified butter in my fridge. So I just measured out from that small plastic container on the left, right in front of the French Pear Gelee. 



Next, I made the sponge cake. 
Since I have Hong Kong flour or what we call here as Super Lite flour, which is lighter/same as Pastry Flour? (not sure!).  I used that instead of substituting.  Worked very well. 




You can see I used the tiny mixing bowl. Only little batter, so small bowl beats up better imo.



The mini sponge cakes out of the oven.  They were so fragile, I was afraid of damaging them.

The first few came out beautifully, the last 2 not so good...but still ok, no major damage.


I searched high and low for Apple Jelly!  Finally found this French Pear Gelee. I figured they will work the same... apple and pear same family right? lol!... and Gelee sounds like Jelly..so must be same too. LOL!  


Mixed 1/4 cup with water. 


Microwave till liquid. 
Reminder to myself. Next time microwave only when you need to use it! It hardens up again quite fast!  


All syrup & glazed!  
The in-between waiting made me a bit impatient...but time passed by quickly because I was baking pineapple tarts at the same time. :)


Posset out from the fridge and the top part is hardened with oil/fats! 
Put the top part and then put back in fridge. 


All filled up..but I couldn't wait to try! LOL! 


Ok.. at least I waited for them to rest 1 hour in the fridge and took it out to try!
The lemon posset still not set yet..but it tasted sooo good!! 



The next day, after overnight in the fridge, the posset finally hardened totally.  No more dripping posset..


Still as yummy! A bit of sweetness and a bit of tartness. 
Nice balance of flavors. 

Absolutely Delicious!!!








15 comments:

Unknown on February 23, 2015 at 11:40 AM said...

Wow, they look amazing!

Mendy on February 23, 2015 at 11:58 AM said...

ב''ה

Looks like you made a perfect rendition of these. I wonder how the pear tasted on it?

Angie's Recipes on February 23, 2015 at 5:37 PM said...

They look scrumptious!

Vicki on February 23, 2015 at 6:49 PM said...

Uh oh, I got so impatient I missed the part about putting them in the frig to let the posset set! The pear gelee sounds really good, better than apple jelly. Looks and acts the same. You have the shortcake pan! I keep thinking of buying it. Is the small bowl you whipped the eggs in a KitchenAid bowl?

Patricia @ ButterYum on February 23, 2015 at 10:01 PM said...

They look so good, Pegg. It must be torture to spoon the posset into the cakes..... how do you keep from sticking that spoon right into your mouth???. Lol.

Patricia @ ButtrtYum
http://www.butteryum.org/roses-alpha-bakers/2015/2/19/lemon-posset-alma

orins goodies on February 24, 2015 at 10:04 AM said...

your posset look amazing...happy new year to you too.. I am assuming the chines new year?...

Unknown on February 24, 2015 at 10:44 AM said...

I'm so glad that my recipe choice has been a hit with everyone this week. You all can thank my husband love of lemon! Ha! And Faithy.. your cakes look beautiful, I think after I saw most of the bakers, yours are the ones that are the most define...

evil cake lady on February 24, 2015 at 1:02 PM said...

faithy, your shortcakes are so perfect! i love the look of the drippy posset, makes me remember how delicious it was.

Nicola on February 24, 2015 at 3:13 PM said...

Brilliant. The pear gelee looks great - does it also have quince in it?

I think I am almost convinced to invest in the shortcake pan - they look so sweet.

N

Hanaâ on February 25, 2015 at 11:20 AM said...

Those look delicious! Love your pan. And what a great idea to use Pear Gelee. Yum!

Jenn on February 26, 2015 at 2:41 AM said...

Happy New Year Faithy! Gong Xi Gong Xi!

Your cake looks perfect. I love the photo with the oranges behind. And I noticed you are taking the photo during the day now!

Michele at The Artful Oven on February 26, 2015 at 10:57 AM said...

Faithy, may the Year of the Sheep be happy and prosperous for you and your family. I do love this recipe. My little cakes were very fragile, but so delicious.

Lois B on February 26, 2015 at 11:58 AM said...

Belated Happy NewYear! I love your shortbread pan; the baskets look so nice. My posset was nice and firm after sitting all night too.

Unknown on February 26, 2015 at 6:51 PM said...

Gong Hei Fat Choy! (sp?) You got great definition on your 'baskets'. And they look so pretty. Must be that Hong Kong flour?

Patricia @ ButterYum on February 27, 2015 at 11:12 AM said...

Congratulations on being featured on Marie's blog round up this week. I hope you're feeling better!

Patricia @ ButterYum
http://www.butteryum.org/roses-alpha-bakers/2015/2/19/lemon-posset-alma

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template