Monday, January 12, 2015

TBB: Black & Blueberry Pie


This is my first time making other fruit pie (I've only ever made apple pie)...so I was looking forward to making it.  Making the crust in food processor was easy.  I read both methods.. the rubbing in flour etc..sounded like it will take forever, ..thus taking out the food processor from inside the cupboard seemed like a faster option.   I always like the faster option! :)  




My helper took this photo.. I don't know why she has to take from under my arm?!
I cropped of the rest of my arm because I saw some age spots...I don't think whitening cream will help.  So cropping off is a faster option. LOL!  

I used a 12" cake board to cut round.


Placed the frozen berries into the pie. The thing is I noticed that there were lots of ice stuck to the frozen berries..I tried to peel off as much as possible..but some are impossible to remove.  I wondered if they will make the pie more liquid? So I added 10g more of cornflour just in case.  


The decorating part of the pie was fun. I had pie dough left over and I had them all stuck to the rim of the pie ..I am a crust person...I like more crust.  Usually, when I eat any pie or tart or buns etc...i tend to throw away the inside and eat only the crust..and like baguette.. I only eat the crust if I can help it. :P  


I baked for 1 hr 5 mins ..and the pie juices was spitting at the side from that crack on the side (shaped like triangle.... can see?)  I took it out from the oven immediately..partly because I was worried about my oven more than the pie. 
I do not like sticky or oily oven... 

When I was turning my pie half way for even baking, the pie juices leaked out and that's why you see 3/4 of the pie had jam rim around it.  Ai ya..I regretted doing that..Next time I will not move my pie..!  

And the thing about that triangle shaped crack..while the pie was cooling, my itchy hand dug into the crack so I could taste some of the crust and juices.. BAD MOVE! Cos the juices start coming out from that crack....and onto my table! I had to tilt my pie to stop the flow.  At the same time I found out that the berry juice stains badly...I had to quickly clean off before the stain sets on my tabletop.  



A slice of pie 2-3 hours after it is baked.  Still soupy. I can see my blueberries still intact. 


Served with scoop of ice-cream. YUMMY!  



The next day!  

After the next day, the pie is all firmed up and no more soupy juices.

Made me wonder if it is because my room temperature is higher than the rest of alpha bakers', so upon standing in cooler temperature, theirs would have firmed up faster?  Mine needed like a night in the fridge to do that..



Pie with ice cream again!!
We can't get enough of it. So YUMMY! 
Besides apple pie, now I have to say this is my next favorite pie. Expensive though..the black & blueberries are expensive even frozen ones...so can only make it occasionally. :)  





9 comments:

Patricia @ ButterYum on January 12, 2015 at 10:28 AM said...

It looks beautiful, even with the leaking juices. I really like the way you decorated the crust.

Vicki on January 12, 2015 at 10:59 AM said...

Faithy! That is the cutest pie crust I have ever seen in my life! Your's was not the only "juicy" one. Raymond thawed his berries first and drained most of the juices. Still, this pie is the best flavored berry pie, soupy or not. We could be BFF's; Lindt chocolate, pie crust and bread crust! There is a word in Italian for those that eat either the inside or the outside of the bread but I can't remember it.

Rosa V. on January 12, 2015 at 11:27 AM said...

Faithy, love your decorations on top of the pie really pretty and your pie looks good too nice write up.

Mendy on January 12, 2015 at 11:40 AM said...

ב''ה

I almost turned the pie around mid-bake but then thought better of it.

I used the hand-method and it did not take long.

Your ice-cream looks very good and your pie looks great too!

Jenn on January 12, 2015 at 10:26 PM said...

I also like the outside of baguette and bread crust. When we go to restaurant that gives free bread, all the crust were eaten, not the inside, lol. Your pie looks good and yummy. I love how you decorated the top!

Vicki on January 12, 2015 at 11:14 PM said...

P.S. Rose left a comment on my soupy pie post that the entire should read 212 F on instant read thermometer. I mistook the juices coming out of the slits for thickened juice. Next time I'll definitely be probing the interior of any fruit pie!

Unknown on January 13, 2015 at 12:20 AM said...

Your decorations are so cool! Great write up.

Unknown on January 13, 2015 at 6:06 AM said...

I love the crust too. That's what made me a bit nervous about an American style pie with so much filling. But like you it was a happy surprise for me. My pie also firmed up after a day in the fridge.

evil cake lady on January 13, 2015 at 6:06 AM said...

i love your pie decorations! i love pie crust, too. my favorite part!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template