Monday, July 5, 2010

Chocolate Ice-cream Cake


Rose Heavenly Cakes, Page 142: Chocolate Ice Cream Cake or Sandwich

The only thing that puzzled me when reading this recipe was the difference between ice cream cake and ice cream sandwich. Well, the picture on page 144 is ice cream cake, but it also looked like a sandwich to me!  But as i read on further ice-cream sandwich is suppose to be bite size. The ice cream sandwich that i know is ice-cream sandwiched with light paper thin waffle biscuit or with a slice of sweet-bread... sold by the ice cream man on his bike with the ice-cream freezer attached to the bike and a huge umbrella with it...(no longer at friendly neighborhood places anymore but i see them along Orchard Road).   Anyway, i hope that one of HCB will do a sandwich version so i can have an idea how the sandwich version will look like. 

So..needless to say, i went for the cake version.  Anyway, i found it too troublesome to divide the recipe by 3/4. (Ok..i admit, my maths is really bad now..use to be really good in school but after i left school, i can't even calculate anything mentally without the calculator or excel program anymore..! My husband being Chinese educated, is superb with mental calculation and he's my "walking calculator"..hahaha....but he wasn't around at the time while i was trying to figure this out and i didn't have a calculator at home..plus my iphone was temporary hijacked by my son who refused to return it back to me..)  In the end, I made the entire batch of batter and poured like 3/4 over the 10" pan and the leftover I made them into cupcakes.  Am I smart or what? LOL! 

After whisking the egg yolks and sugar, i was a bit confused if i should continue to use the whisk attachment or change to the flat beater to beat in the flour and the rest.  But since the book didn't say to change it...i just continued with the whisk attachment till the end of the recipe.  So far so good, cos my cake turned out alright, i think.  At first i was worried cos the cake was higher on one side while in the oven..however, it flattened off evenly during cooling. 

I made the coffee stracciatella ice-cream by Sherry Yard. I chose her recipe cos i wanted to try making stracciatella plus her recipe said it'll made 1 quart of ice-cream. I have no idea what 1 quart is since we use metric system here and book instruction said to use either 1 or 2 quart ice-cream - saves me time from all the conversion just to follow a recipe that makes 1 quart...hahaha!   I was worried as to how to melt store bought ice-cream properly, so i figured making my own and immediately pouring into the pan and freezing it after would be perfect...like kill 2 birds with one stone?


This is the only baking-in-progress photo i have as this was the only time i remembered about photographing steps and yelled at my daughter to quickly take a photo of me pouring the ice-cream into the pan.   And my kitchen is now air-conditioned...so..YAY!..i don't have to complain about the hot weather anymore..except my higher electricity bills though..lol! 

While the cake is in the freezer..I made the Chocolate Snowball Hot Fudge Sauce. I used Lindt 85% chocolate because i can't find their 99% though..i am sure i thought i've seen it before.  I reduced a little bit of the sugar since my chocolate wasn't 99%.  Instructions pretty easy and the hot fudge tasted really good and i like the texture. So i dipped my cupcakes (from the leftover batter) into the hot fudge sauce as frosting. Turns out to be a really good idea! The hot fudge sauce on cupcakes is yummy plus it is still glossy after placed in the fridge.


I left the ice-cream cake in the freezer overnight till the next day.  And while waiting for the ice-cream cake to 'ripen' in the freezer, at least i have cupcakes to savor first! The cupcakes with fudge sauce is extremely chocolatey & highly addictive!

And the next day..i couldn't wait anymore and was very eager to try the cake.  However, I was too lazy to wipe the pan around it with hot towel, so i just hold my breath and unmold the spring-form pan just like that. No problems at all! It just came out really nicely in fact and the sides all nicely intact...see below photo..how beautiful the sides are..:D


Now with aircon in my kitchen, i can take lots of photos of my ice-cream cake without worrying it will melt...:D  So, more ice-cream cake photos....



Verdict:-  OMG, Best Ever! Totally heavenly, totally awesome, totally out of this world.. you can already tell how much i am in love with this cake...lol! This is by far the best ever ice-cream cake i've ever eaten! The cake is really soft and stayed soft in the freezer. Moist, soft with fine crumbs...extremely good!   Eaten alone with the hot fudge as in the cupcakes i made, it tasted slightly different, has a more intense chocolatey taste on its own as compared to when eaten with ice-cream.   Either way, the cake is exceptionally good.  Perfect when paired with Sherry Yard's coffee stracciatella ice-cream...the stracciatella in the ice-cream added texture and light crunch....   Definitely a must bake again cake!   Sorry, too excited..forgot to mention about my family...they all loved the cake unanimously!

P/S: Normally don't drink coffee, i wonder if I am on sugar high or coffee high since just noticed that I typed a lot today..which i normally don't..words are hard to come by for me..lol!





32 comments:

Vicki on July 5, 2010 at 12:34 AM said...

Faithy, it looks amazing! I googled the ice cream recipe you used and Wow! I had to laugh about the math AND the cake vs ice cream sandwiches. It confused me so much I emailed Marie for help! Now I'm curious, what is the difference in "Chinese math education"? Did he go to school in China? I check my granddaughter's math every week and it gives me a headache. I sometimes give up and pull out the calculator!

Pei-Lin on July 5, 2010 at 1:28 AM said...

YAY! Got to see the cake!!! GORGEOUS!

Haha! Yea, you did seem to be on a (sugar) high! Oh, no ... Does that mean I'm SUPER looooonnnng-winded!? Haha! Because I've got too many words screaming in my head! all the time!

Yours does look like the one in the book! Very well done! How I wish my freezer is EXTRA large and always has space to offer me. That's why, I've not been churning chilled/frozen desserts lately ... *Sigh*

Aiya, never mind lar ... So long your hubby can pay the higher electric bill, then it's fine. Haha! I drool just by looking at your ice-cream cake! It's been ages since I last had one, like 10 years!?

Unknown on July 5, 2010 at 1:43 AM said...

this looks way too amazing! :)
i definitely have to try this :)
page

Saira on July 5, 2010 at 1:55 AM said...

Wow! looks like I missed out on a great cake! Must make this for my family when they visit soon.

Julie said...

The cake turned out beautiful. And I'm so impressed that you made your own ice cream to go in it. I was a bit confused about the difference between the cake and the sandwich too -- I've read the directions over and over. Maybe I'll try the sandwich.

Monica on July 5, 2010 at 5:11 AM said...

Faithy... you go girl! it looks amazing! and l laugh so hard with the math thing.. I had my trusty iPhone with an application that did the whole calculation for me, because like you, Tom is the math genius around here and he was off playing with his band!

I also made my own ice cream... zabaglione and the combinations is TO DIE FOR!

The pictures look so good - congratulations on your A/C kitchen!

evil cake lady on July 5, 2010 at 7:26 AM said...

beautiful ice cream cake! i was going to use a calculator to get 3/4 of the recipe, but having a few cupcakes to tide me over sounds appealing! hooray for aircon!

Cathie on July 5, 2010 at 7:50 AM said...

oh.my! that does look like the BEST ever!!!
love the drips, great pics Faithy ♥

faithy on July 5, 2010 at 9:36 AM said...

Thank you ladies! It's great to know that i'm not the only one confused about the cake vs sandwich version. :D..and having maths problem..hahaha

@Vicki: Thanks Vicki! Oh..prior 70s, we had 2 different education system, Chinese educated means they studied Chinese as the main subject..ie everything is taught in Chinese and English as a language. The English educated is taught everything in English and Chinese as a language so we don't get to learn deep Chinese poetry, history etc..i think. Anyway, now everything is taught in English and no more Chinese educated students anymore - only bilingual ones, ie, equally good in English & Chinese and having both as 1st language. And we use to have this saying that the Chinese ed ones are extremely good with mental sums and IQ questions..like my husband, just give him a few numbers and he calculates faster than me having to punch in numbers into the calculator...lol!

@Pei-Lin: Thank you! LOL! Ya..you just realised you are super long winded? LOL! But that's you and that's your style and i love reading your long winded posts..hahaha. Well wait till you have your own house and your own fridge, then you can dictate what goes in the freezer and what can't. ;)

@Page: Thank you Page! Yes, you should try it..worth all the effort.

@Saira: Thanks..try it soon..i'm sure you'll like it too!

@Julie: Thanks Julie! Glad i'm not the only one who's confused... do try the sandwich version!

@Monica: Thank you! Can't wait to see your version of the cake!

@Jennifer: Thanks! Can't wait to see your version of the cake too!

@Cathie: Thank you Cathie!!

cocoa and coconut on July 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM said...

Everything you do looks so professional!

maameemoomoo on July 5, 2010 at 12:46 PM said...

OMG!

Looks like a HUGEEEE Oreo cake to me!!

I'm SOOOOOO making this faithy ;)

maameemoomoo on July 5, 2010 at 12:50 PM said...

er.. wait wait.. no full recipe to share ah faithy??

gartblue on July 5, 2010 at 2:47 PM said...

omg!

faithy, faithy, faithy .. that looks gorgeous! perfectly levelled cake and home-made ice-cream ... i so envy you!

any leftovers?

p/s glad for your air-conditioned kitchen .. waiting for mine to complete ..

and btw, the ice-cream man on bikes are still around in malaysia .. i need a cone version today!

Bakertan on July 5, 2010 at 8:34 PM said...

Hi Faithy,

This ice cream cake looks amazingly delicious. Certainly put's Swenson's ice cream cakes to shame. Looks like you are making real good use out of Rose's cake compendium =]

Btw there are still ice cream man ard neighbour places. Just need to have the luck to bump into them.

Unknown on July 5, 2010 at 10:23 PM said...

I just found Rose's book in the library- I'll see if I can try to make something from there since you always present such nice desserts from there. :)
thanks for your lovely comment btw! :)
page

Unknown on July 5, 2010 at 11:06 PM said...

Ooooh this looks heavenly!!!! I miss ice cream sooo much! You are tempting me to cave. Lovely photographs too!

Lois B on July 6, 2010 at 7:23 AM said...

What a perfect looking cake!

Barbara Bakes on July 6, 2010 at 9:40 PM said...

I never should have read this post before breakfast. Now I'm already on a sugar high. It sounds fabulous!

Juliana on July 7, 2010 at 11:41 AM said...

Wow Faithy, what a nice treat...the cake with ice cream looks gorgeous...love everything chocolate :-)

Pei-Lin on July 8, 2010 at 12:12 AM said...

Faithy, just emailed you through your Gmail account. Please check your mail. Thanks! Hope to hear from you soon!

SweetThingsTO on July 8, 2010 at 10:53 AM said...

oh wow - looks delish! Congrats on getting air conditioning - I don't know how you did it before.

Hanaâ on July 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM said...

Wow, that looks amazing. I want a slice NOW and I'm not a big ice cream fan!! The sides look soooo smooth. Great job, Faithy!!

Btw, I just posted my mom's orange-scented rolls recipe on my blog.

Sarah, Maison Cupcake on July 9, 2010 at 4:20 PM said...

That looks really elegant - a very sophisticated dessert, worthy of any restaurant menu I reckon.

Mendy on July 10, 2010 at 3:28 AM said...

ב''ה

Wow Faithy, I agree with Hanaa, the sides look so smooth.

Mendy on July 10, 2010 at 3:29 AM said...

ב''ה

I also loved the hot fudge sauce. You should try it with 99% when you find some :)

Chef Dennis Littley on July 10, 2010 at 5:42 AM said...

now that is an incredible ice cream cake!! the coffee ice cream goes perfectly with the chocolate cake, and that fudge sauce makes it even better!!
thanks so much for sharing and I'm happy to hear your kitchen is air conditioned!!

Hanaâ on July 10, 2010 at 12:15 PM said...

Btw, there were a couple typos in my Orange-scented rolls recipe which I just fixed. To be sure there are no other typos or problems, I made a batch tonight. It's rising right now but at least the dough has the right consistency. I hope the recipe works for you when you give it a try.

Unknown on July 11, 2010 at 8:29 AM said...

This looks so amazing! I have to try something like this. It looks so pretty too.
Thank you for sharing.

Brandy L on July 20, 2010 at 9:44 PM said...

Yum Yum Yum! This looks so good. Now i want chocolate. :D

Unknown on August 27, 2010 at 6:33 PM said...

Hey Faithy! I'd love to try this - any chance you can share the recipe for the sponge and chocolate sauce? Thanks!!

Paula on September 9, 2010 at 6:14 PM said...

Hola, acabo de conocer tu blog y me parece maravilloso. Con tu permiso haré esta tarta ;)

Salu2 desde España, Paula
http://conlaszarpasenlamasa.cultura-libre.net

Miranda @ The Spotted Cake on September 30, 2010 at 12:22 PM said...

This looks SO delicious! :)

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template