Saturday, January 9, 2010

Mark Bittman's Food Processor Baguettes



Recipe from Marie's blog @ http://breadbasketcase.blogspot.com.

I think i did something wrong with my baguettes! Somehow my bread didn't develop these nice large holes that Marie's did..hers were so very nice and fluffy. Mine was so dense...i wonder if it is because i didn't let it raise long enough?  And i realised i didn't slash mine deep enough. The crust is a bit too hard, and the inside too dense. Overall, it is still edible but not what is expected i guess. I gotta try it again... :(

My husband thinks i'm wasting my time - afterall we can always buy great Delifrance baguettes at S$1.30..and in Singapore, everything is just within the neighbourhood.

PS: I forgot to take photo of the entire loaf of bread since i was eager to eat my dinner (above) and took a quick shot..LOL!

4 comments:

Mendy on January 10, 2010 at 6:43 AM said...

ב''ה

Making baguettes is an art and never a waste of time. You never know when it will come in handy. From what I've read and experienced the large wholes are directly proportionate to the wetness of the dough. A wetter dough = more large yummy holes.

Unknown on January 10, 2010 at 6:49 AM said...

Husband doesn't get it does he. I have only started doing yeasty bready stuff just before Christmas but was bowled over by how great the paybacks were for so little effort. If all bread is like that I am going to make loads of it this year and I look forward to seeing more of yours too.

Marie on January 10, 2010 at 12:02 PM said...

I'm so impressed that you gave these a try! I'm just sorry that they didn't turn out the way you were hoping. It's hard to figure out what might have gone wrong, but you get a gold star for your attempt! I was really scared to make baguettes when I was working my way through The Bread Bible (I guess I neglected to mention that when I was singing the praises of this version), so I think it's great that you tried.
Mendy is right--the wetter the dough, the holeier the bread.

faithy on January 10, 2010 at 4:49 PM said...

Thanks for the tip Mendy & Marie! I think i made LOTS of mistakes..now i just did my 'homework' and read up some to dos..LOL! First, like what you all mentioned, my dough was not wet enough..it was rather dry to begin with. Secondly, i didn't roll out properly..i just rolled it like a sausage..which i think is wrong! LOL! Thirdly, i over floured my baugette before baking..hahahaha.. Fourly, i think i overbaked it..it's so hard the next day that it feels like a rock! I seriously think i can throw it at someone and that someone can get hurt! LOL!

Sarah, i am also looking forward to seeing your bread posts! :) Then we can always exchange notes too..LOL! I've always been making asian sweet bread dough but not the artisan type yet..so more to come..LOL!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template