Monday, January 25, 2010

Chocolate Tweed Angel Food





Rose's Heavenly Cake, Page 159: Chocolate Tweed Angel Food

To be honest, i've never eaten an angel food cake before, so when Marie said this recipe is up next in line, i was pretty excited.  I've always assumed angel food cake is like chiffon cake.  Afterall, i have plenty of eggwhites in the freezer. :)  I defrosted more eggwhites than i should..since i usually collect my eggwhites in small containers, i can't remember exactly how many eggwhites there are per each container.  Since i had excess eggwhites defrosted, i made macarons with it for the upcoming MacTweets Mac-Attack4 (that will be in the next post).

Again, this cake is pretty easy but the only thing that got me really worried is that when i beat the 16 eggwhites, the whites fluff up till it's almost the top of my KitchenAid mixer..and i can't really tell if it is medium peak or stiff peak, since it is way up the top of my mixer and when i lift up, i can't really tell either..lol!  So i just made an estimate guess on what i think is stiff peak..:p

I made a small mistake: I put rice in the empty glass bottle so that it can be weigh down when i cool the cake upside down..however, in my haste i forgot to tightened the cap and the bottle toppled over and i had rice all over my cake. Had to brush off all the rice and some got stuck (in the cracks) and not easy to remove! I suppose the uncooked rice does add to the crunch..lol!

Ok..you see half of the cake above because, i only frosted half of the cake! LOL! That's because i ran out of heavy cream and i had only half of the required amount.

Verdict:  I like it and so does everyone in my family!  It's very soft and fluffy and taste quite like chiffon cake except it has less flavor than chiffon cake, but the cream-frosting made up for the flavor.  Normally i would eat chiffon cake on it's own, but for angel food cake, it is rather bland without any whipped cream or syrup or whatever is the term for it...(my mind's blank after too much baking for the day..)?  Without the heavy-cream, it taste quite like a diet cake to me..lol! I guess it is since only egg whites and no oil and the little chocolate doesn't really help either!  So it is best to eat this cake frosted with the cream suggested in the book. :)


13 comments:

ann low on January 24, 2010 at 10:48 PM said...

WOW! 16 eggwhites? That's such a big cake! I think everyone at home will rush for this delicious Angel cake.

Lois B on January 24, 2010 at 11:01 PM said...

It's beautiful! I love the little chocolate balls for decoration.

Deeba PAB on January 24, 2010 at 11:23 PM said...

That's a gorgous cake Faithy...tall & pretty! I've never made anangel cake before either, and have the same problem with colecting whites!!

Vicki said...

It came out so nice and high. Fantastic for your first baking and tasting of angel food cake.
Very pretty with or without the rice!

Unknown on January 25, 2010 at 2:02 AM said...

Beautiful ethereal cake. I am wondering what you did with 16 yolks?!

Nicola on January 25, 2010 at 2:20 AM said...

It looks perfect Faithy. I laughed about the added crunch from the rice!!!

Those tiny little chocolate pearls - divine.

Hanaâ on January 25, 2010 at 2:35 AM said...

It came out beautifully, Faithy. Are you sure it's the first time you made angel food cake? You're a natural :o) I like the way it looks. I was going to make it and cut it in half only because I didn't have enough whipped cream. Alas, something came up and I won't have time to make it at all this week. Maybe I'll give it a shot during our "Free Choice" week. I have LOTS of egg whites in the freezer.

Btw, I thought it was funny you frosted only half a cake. I do that too sometimes, ha ha. Or frost only the slice or whatever that I'm taking a picture of, when I'm in a bind. Tricks of the trade, right? :o)

faithy on January 25, 2010 at 11:05 AM said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments! :)

@Sarah, the whites have been kept from the earlier cake we baked which required like 16 yolks or something..so kinna balanced it out. :)

@Hanaâ LOL! And i thought i am the only one that would frost only half the cake..LOL!

NancyB on January 26, 2010 at 1:10 AM said...

Yours really came out well...and we'd never have known you only frosted half the cake if you hadn't 'fessed up. Any rice was well hidden, too! <g>

Mendy on January 26, 2010 at 9:59 AM said...

ב''ה

Looks great! Well done.

Lois B on January 27, 2010 at 2:15 AM said...

Faithy, In response to your comment on my post, if you go to the calorie count website (there's a link in my post) they have a recipe analyzer. You enter the ingredients with amounts and it gives you the nutritional analysis. I think I did have to divide by the number of servings. I made the mistake of doing this when I made Paula Deen's Coconut Cake a few years ago; the results were not so encouraging. :)

PAM on January 27, 2010 at 3:35 PM said...

I'm having trouble leaving comments on your blog. Loved your cake, hope this one goes through.

gartblue on January 29, 2010 at 2:57 PM said...

hahaha .. faithy .. i'll take your idea then when I run out of frosting! just half would do.

yours looks so professionally done and the macaroons screamed VALENTINE's !!

good job, babe!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template