Monday, January 11, 2010

Chocolate Streusel Coffee Cake





Rose's Heavenly Cakes, Page 55: Chocolate Streusel Coffee Cake

This cake is pretty straight forward so is not a difficult cake to bake. However, i don't understand why we have to bake the cake into a 6-cup bundt pan and 2 cupcakes. I would think it would be much easier to bake the batter either in all cupcakes or just 1 bundt pan right?  I have been dying to try out the mini bundt pans i bought from Melbourne April last year,  so i baked the cake into 8 mini bundt cakes. :)

I put in the chocolate streusel mixture (i did use light muscovado sugar this time - i realised i had a packet in my pantry all the time - i bought quite some time back and forgot about it! lol!) into the batter but i think i didn't put enough so there's quite a lot left. I heated up some left over sour cream, mix in the chocolate streusel mixture, a bit of butter & a bit of icing sugar and piped it over mini cakes.

Verdict: This cake is absolutely delicious! The texture/crumbs of the cake is extremely soft, delicate and very moist. Paired with the chocolate streusel it is absolutely heavenly! A MUST bake again cake! This recipe is definitely a keeper..not only is it easy to bake, it is soooo sooooo good!  Everyone in my family loves it.  I think I'm going to bake a batch of these again in cupcake form tomorrow. :)

18 comments:

Mendy on January 11, 2010 at 1:33 PM said...

ב''ה

Looks fabulous, as usual!

evil cake lady on January 11, 2010 at 4:23 PM said...

good call on making the leftover streusel into a sour cream glaze! your mini bundts are very cute!

lanier on January 11, 2010 at 6:56 PM said...

So cute!

Khadija El Mary on January 11, 2010 at 7:04 PM said...

They look absolutely gorgeous!

SweetThingsTO on January 11, 2010 at 7:57 PM said...

They look wonderful! Let me know how it goes as cupcakes!

Shoshana on January 11, 2010 at 8:27 PM said...

The mini bundts look wonderful! What a good idea to make a drizzle with the extra filling. It looks like it might be worth making extra filling just to do that next time.

Lois B on January 11, 2010 at 10:04 PM said...

I love the mini-bundt pans and the glaze!

Raymond on January 11, 2010 at 11:02 PM said...

Fantastic. I agree, next time I am just going to put all the batter in my 10 cup pan and be done with it.

Raymond

Unknown on January 11, 2010 at 11:22 PM said...

This looks so pretty. I don't normally like coffee stuff but I would definitely try this.

faithy on January 12, 2010 at 9:42 AM said...

Thank you Mendy, Jennifer, Ianier, Mamatkamal, Juanita, Shoshana, Lois, Raymond & Sarah!

@Juanita: I'll let you know when i baked them in cupcake form. Some of our HCB have baked them in cupcake forms and they said it was good and they looked really good too!

@Sarah: Sarah, this "coffee cake" has no real coffee in it - it's just a term..maybe it's American? I guess their coffee cake = what we term as 'tea-cakes'? ..i think..*shrugs*..lol!

Hanaâ on January 12, 2010 at 12:00 PM said...

Beautiful! Love the cake's texture and the choc drizzle on top. I wish I hadn't skipped this cake, ha ha :o)

gartblue on January 12, 2010 at 12:28 PM said...

gosh!

*drooling over your mini bundts*

gorgeous presentation faithy! as usual.

I love the way you made the drizzle, i would never have thought that. instead I'd just gobble it all up myself .. haha

kudos!

Unknown on January 12, 2010 at 9:15 PM said...

Me again!
I have nominated your blog for a Happy 101 Award, come see at
http://blog.maisoncupcake.com/2010/01/leek-and-goats-cheese-tart-and-two.html

Ah I see the coffee was a red herring. I love tea cakes even though I don't drink tea!

Tracy on January 12, 2010 at 10:17 PM said...

Oh yum. They look so cute and dainty!

Tracy on January 12, 2010 at 11:28 PM said...

It's me again, haha. I wanted to let you know that I passed along the Happy 101 award to you, because it makes me happy every time you blog! http://sugarcrafter.net/2010/01/12/more-blog-love/

NancyB on January 14, 2010 at 1:20 AM said...

I must join in the chorus of praise for the chocolate drizzle--it makes the cute bundt-lets look even more luscious. And now I'm pondering if a bittersweet drizzle might solve my only problem with this cake, which is that it's too sweet for my tastes. Maybe I'll have to try the experiment.

MaryMoh on January 15, 2010 at 3:28 AM said...

This must be very delicious. I can see the very fine texture. I would love that with a cup of hot tea now. That would make my day :)

Patricia @ ButterYum on January 15, 2010 at 7:15 AM said...

Faithy - I absolutely adore you mini bundts!!!!

:)
ButterYum

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template