Monday, December 14, 2009

Classic Carrot Cake w/ Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate Frosting



Rose's Heavenly Cakes, Page 122: Classic Carrot Cake with Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate Frosting

Baked carrot cake into cupcakes (yes..again! yup, me and my cupcakes! lol!) since I was running out of time and cupcakes seemed like a better idea - they take lesser time to bake & cool. :) The batter yield exactly 24 cupcakes and i baked them for around 30mins. Shredded about 5 big carrots and came out about 10g short..but i didn't want to shred another carrot halfway, if you know what i mean, so i left it as it is. Chose to add in raisins and hence deducted about 10g of sugar. I used Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder...not too sure if it made any difference though or just my imagination since i think my cupcakes seem a bit darker than the usual carrot cake. :)

As for the frosting, i didn't use white chocolate. I opted for the whiter frosting which Rose said to use icing sugar in place. Figured icing sugar helps stabilize the cream cheese & butter better so it will not melt too quickly in our hot climate. Made less cream cheese frosting since i didn't want to use 1-1/2 package of cream cheese (1 pack is like 225g). So i used only 1 pack of cream cheese & adjusted the butter & icing sugar likewise. Used mascarpone cheese in place of sour cream - added about 45g (that is because i have a tub of mascarpone cheese opened and it has to be used within 3 days otherwise it will turn moldy in my fridge..yup! same goes with all kinds of cream i find). I didn't weigh the icing sugar but just added it tablespoon by tablespoon and stopped when it tasted right (didn't want it too sweet). Also added 2-3 tsp of lime juice for an added punch of flavor. Finally, I topped a carrot gummy candy on top of each cupcake, how appropriate isn't it? :)

Verdict: DELICIOUS!! This is one of the best carrot cake i have ever tasted! And there's no nuts..which i like! LOL! Very moist and you can't really taste the carrots actually. I like the tinge of cinnamon flavor & the added raisins too! Glad i added the raisins! Since i had 24 cupcakes, i had plenty to give away. Everyone loved it! My family, friends, office co-workers & my neighbors - all gave the thumbs-up! :) I'm quite certain that this recipe is one that i'm going to bake often! :) So easy to bake & fuss-free.




PS: I want to apologize to the other HCBs (and whoever that's reading) for my terrible writing skills..:p. Esp. Marie who has to read my Monday posts! I know my writing sucks...at times I write like i'm writing a report at work..:p - must be very boring and at times full of grammatical mistakes..which i do try to correct when i have time..:p!


16 comments:

Unknown on December 14, 2009 at 6:17 PM said...

These look great! I love the shape of the buttercream on top of the bases. Did you make your own carrots?

Nicola on December 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM said...

Cute cakes. I love the carrot sweets on the top.

I really like reading your blog - I have no complaints about your technique or grammar!

lanier on December 14, 2009 at 6:48 PM said...

So cute. I almost made cupcakes but in the last minute went with the sheet cake. I've also never noticed any faults in your posts!

Emily on December 14, 2009 at 8:11 PM said...

These look delicious! Love the little carrot on top!

Raymond on December 14, 2009 at 11:11 PM said...

What a great idea. I think I need to do that next time since big cakes go to waste in my house and cup cakes make it so easy to have a few and then share the rest. These look so so so good

Raymond

The saim Family on December 15, 2009 at 12:02 AM said...

The little carrots on your cupcakes are really cute! the more I read other blogs the more I wish I hadn't impulsively added more cocoa!

evil cake lady on December 15, 2009 at 8:46 AM said...

Faithy I can always count on you to create adorable and perfectly decorated cakes! These are no exception.

Shoshana on December 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM said...

These cupcakes look great. I love the candy decoration, it adds so much!

SweetThingsTO on December 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM said...

yum! And don't worry about the grammar - I do that all the time. My mother reads my blog posts and then sends me edits :-)

Jane on December 15, 2009 at 9:33 PM said...

Hi Faithy-- These are beautiful cupcakes. Really very, very nice. They look just like something you'd get at a special bakery. Lovely!

:) Jane

faithy on December 15, 2009 at 9:38 PM said...

I just got back..and still haven't unpack yet! Thank you all for your lovely comments!

@Sarah, the carrots are sugared gummies that i bought from a store.

gartblue on December 17, 2009 at 12:53 AM said...

wow! these look great! why of why didn't i think of cuppies!

good job and i think you writing skill is just perfect .. apologies not accepted as none is needed.

Sugar Chef on December 17, 2009 at 10:14 AM said...

I love your carrot cupcakes. Great idea to make them easier to give away. I really like your gummy carrots too. I have never seen those here in California.

Kitchen Butterfly on December 18, 2009 at 5:14 AM said...

Superb photo....Want to eat those cupcakes...

NancyB on December 19, 2009 at 11:20 AM said...

Love the carrot cake as cupcakes, and also how you adapted the frosting. And the carrot gummies are just the right finishing touch!

Bungalow Barbara on December 21, 2009 at 7:26 AM said...

Those are so, so cute! Great work!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template